Friday, July 22, 2016


Get back up

Life is full of choices. Some may seem insignificant at the time, but can be a small change in course that can have dramatic effects later on down the road. A few years ago in general conference, President Uchtdorf talked about how being off course by only a few degrees can make a dramatic difference in where we end up. He told the story of an airplane that was off course by two degrees. It ended up being a fatal error, as they flew straight into the side of a mountain.




In order to protect ourselves from flying off course, it is important to set up some guardrails. As a teenager, I learned to make a decision once, and then stick with it. If a decision is right once, it will always be right. “I will always” and “I will never” will help keep us on course.  
One of the guardrails I have set up is “I will always listen to the promptings of the Holy Ghost.”  I actually never wanted to go into business. I still don’t know why I was inspired to choose a business major- I have faith that this information will be revealed to me at the right time. There have been so many times I wanted to give up. My plate is already pretty full, and adding school- especially a major I am not particularly interested in- is a daunting task.
As I read President Monson’s address “Finishers Wanted”, I thought back to my own life and what I have learned over the past few years. It has been an interesting ride. I have had my fill of ups and downs; one of the main lessons I have learned is that when I fall down, I have two choices. I can sit there and cry, or I can get up, brush myself off, and keep on going. There have been times when I am tempted to just sit and cry. It’s too hard. Nobody understands. Nobody cares.

It is during that time that I am reminded just how wrong I am…
There is someone who cares. He understands. He loves us and is on the sidelines cheering us on. Our Savior, Jesus Christ is always there. He has felt the depths of despair, the discouragement of rejection, and the pain of betrayal. He has felt it all so that He can help us up.

This reminder has given me the strength to keep on going; to get back up and try again.  It will all work out in the end- as long as we get back up.



No comments:

Post a Comment