Sunday, July 17, 2016

Keep an Attitude of Gratitude






This has been a long semester, full of ups and downs; the highest of highs, and lowest of lows. There were a few times when I began to wonder if it was all worth it…. The countless hours studying, missing out on kids’ functions, the late nights and early mornings, the endless fast food because I didn’t have time or energy to cook. “You fly, I buy” has become the family mantra when someone asks what’s for dinner….

As these thoughts ran through my mind, I also remembered the countless time I have been helped by others. The times my visiting teacher picked up my daughter for Young Women’s. My mom’s offer to do my dishes and laundry. (What a switch!) The time my assistant stayed late to finish MY project for me because she knew I had mid-terms. The kids pitching in to help out without being asked.  The list goes on and on… Every time I felt like I just couldn’t take another step, someone was there with a helping hand or a kind word. Many times, I didn’t even have to ask. As I look back over the past few months, all I can feel is gratitude. Gratitude for a Heavenly Father who loves me, and knows what I need to keep plodding down this path. Gratitude for those who went out of their way to help. Gratitude for the opportunity I have to finally get a degree. Gratitude for the chance I have to set a good example for my kids.  I don’t believe for one moment that it was by chance that one of the final articles we read in this class was President Monson’s General Conference talk “An Attitude of Gratitude”.  I challenge myself, as well as anyone else who may read this to remember his advice. “We can lift ourselves, and others as well, when we refuse to remain in the realm of negative thought and cultivate within our hearts an attitude of gratitude. If ingratitude be numbered among the serious sins, then gratitude takes its place among the noblest of virtues. “

No comments:

Post a Comment